Thursday, March 26, 2009

Prologue


Hi Friends,

Let me bring you up to speed! I'm heading to Northern Ghana, Western Africa, this summer as the Junior Fellow of the Dalhousie Chapter of Engineers without Borders. EWB is an organization that assists people in developing communities gain access to technologies that will improve their lives. EWB believes that technology, when appropriately incorporated into each community's social, cultural, economic and political context, can drive extraordinary change. It goes beyond this pretty formal definition.... I'm hoping this blog will shed some light as to how development work plays out on the ground, in the community and from person to person.

I've been involved with EWB since first year to the extent that I was on the mailing list. This year, I applied for a short term overseas position through my chapter. This has put me in a unique position to share my overseas experience with my friends, family, chapter members and university community and do really understand some of the structures and processes that I've learned from my studies.

Feel free to comment and ask questions.

Word!



2 comments:

  1. Dearest Spencer,

    Your letter ... the one you wrote after returning from the National conference is absolutely fantastic! I love your thoughts, love you pieced things together - and I'm really excited for you to be going to Ghana in a month. COUNT DOWN IN ONNNNN .. eeeee.

    Much love
    Laura
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Spencer,

    You rock and your blog rocks! I'm so glad you are our Junior Fellow and we will be with you all of the way.

    xoxo
    Heather

    ReplyDelete